Boats can be built on shipyards, which are always located next to a shoreline. Additionally, Castle, Necropolis, Fortress Conflux and Cove towns can build shipyards if the town is next to a shoreline. Boats cost 10 and 1000 when build in shipyards. Additionally, boats can be acquired with a Summon Boat spell, if at least one unoccupied boat exists on the map. However, with advanced water magic, Summon Boat spell creates a new boat if there are none available on the Adventure Map. Also, Sea Captain's Hat allows a hero to cast summon boat spell even if the hero has not learned it.
Boarding or disembarking from a boat takes the remainder of a hero's movement allowance for the current day. Disembarking is possible to any clear square of land, except if the tile has a hole in it. It is impossible to disembark to a square with a hole, but it is possible to board a boat from a square with a hole.
There is a limit of 64 boats on the map.
A hero on a boat can also visit and pick up objects on water. While sailing on a boat the hero can:
- gather Flotsam, which may provide wood and/or gold
- gather Sea Chests, which may provide gold or an treasure class artifact
- rescue a Shipwreck Survivor, who will always provide an artifact as a reward
- search Shipwrecks and Derelict Ships to fight guardians for gold and artifacts
- meet up with Mermaids for a luck bonus
- investigate Buoys and get better morale
- visit Sirens, which causes the hero to lose 30% (rounded down) of each stack in the hero's army and gain experience equal to the health of the lost troops.
- go through one Whirlpool and end up in another.
- read messages from Ocean bottles.