Boats can be build on shipyards, which are always located next to a shoreline. Additionally, castle, necropolis, fortress and conflux towns can build shipyards if the town is next to a shoreline. Boats cost 10 and 1000 when build in shipyards. Additionally, boats can be acquired with a Summon Boat spell, if at least one unoccupied boat exists on the map. However, with expert water magic, Summon Boat spell creates a new boat if there are none available on the Adventure Map. Also, Sea Captain's Hat allows hero to cast summon boats spell even if the hero has not learned it.
Boarding or disembarking from a boat takes the remainder of a hero's movement allowance for the current day. Disembarking is possible to any clear square of land, except if the tile has a hole in it. It is impossible to disembark to a square with hole, but it is possible to board a boat from a square with hole.
A hero on a boat can also visit and pick up objects on water. While sailing on boat the hero can:
- gather Flotsam, which may provide wood and/or gold
- gather Sea Chests, which may provide gold or an treasure class artifact
- rescue a Shipwreck Survivor, who will always provide an artifact as a reward
- search Shipwrecks and Derelict Ships to fight guardians for gold and artifacts
- meet up with Mermaids for a luck bonus
- investigate Buoys and get better morale
- visit Sirens, which causes the hero to lose 30% (rounded down) of each stack in hero's army and gain experience equal to the health of the lost troops.
- go through one Whirlpool and end up in another.
- read Ocean bottles.