"Necropolis towns are overrun and ruled by undead creatures. They are the natural bases for the Necromancer and Death Knight hero types. Necropolis armies have many units with abilities to weaken their opponents. This quickly gives them an edge over equal or even more powerful enemy armies." RoE manual
Necropolis creature dwellings
- Cursed Temple - (Skeleton, Skeleton Warrior)
- Graveyard - (Walking Dead, Zombie)
- Tomb of Souls - (Wight, Wraith)
- Estate - (Vampire, Vampire Lord)
- Mausoleum - (Lich, Power Lich)
- Hall of Darkness - (Black Knight, Dread Knight)
- Dragon Vault - (Bone Dragon, Ghost Dragon)
Necropolis specific buildings
- Cover of Darkness - creates unexplored area of 20 tile radius around the town for opposing players
- Necromancy Amplifier - (unique building, increases Necromancy skill of all player's heroes by 10% (5% in Horn of the Abyss) , stacks with each city)
- Skeleton Transformer - (unique building, which transfroms any creature into Skeleton, or, in case of Dragons, Hydras and Sea Serpents - into Bone Dragon)
- Shipyard - (allows to buy boats)
- Soul Prison - (Grail building, +20% Necromancy skill for allied heroes, +5k gold per day, +50% creature growth)
- Unearthed Graves - (Skeleton horde building, +6/week)
Necropolis building tree
|Troop cost/week:||26920 + 2|
|Halls||Fortifications||Tavern, Marketplace & Resource Silo||Mage Guilds||Banned spells|
|Village Hall||Fort||Tavern||Mage Guild
|Town Hall||Citadel||Marketplace||Mage Guild
|City Hall||Castle||Resource Silo
Produces +1 & +1
Banned secondary skills
Some skills are not available for certain hero classes, which means they can only acquire them from Scholars, Witch Huts (except for Necromancy and Leadership, if not allowed by a map-maker), Seer's Huts, Events or Pandora's Boxes.
|Wight||3||7||7||3||5||18||5||7||252||200||Undead, Flying, Regeneration|
|Wraith||3+||7||7||3||5||18||7||7||315||230||Undead, Flying, Regeneration, Mana drain|
|Vampire||4||10||9||5||8||30||6||4||555||360||Undead, Flying, No enemy retaliation|
|Vampire Lord||4+||10||10||5||8||40||9||4||783||500||Undead, Flying, No enemy retaliation, Life drain|
|Lich||5||13||10||11||13||30||6||3||848||550||Ranged (12 shots), Undead, Death cloud|
|Power Lich||5+||13||10||11||15||40||7||3||1079||600||Ranged (24 shots), Undead, Death cloud|
|Black Knight||6||16||16||15||30||120||7||2||2087||1200||Undead, Curse|
|Dread Knight||6+||18||18||15||30||120||9||2||2382||1500||Undead, Curse, Death blow|
|Bone Dragon||7||17||15||25||50||150||9||1||3388||1800||Dragon, Undead, Flying, Morale -1|
|Ghost Dragon||7+||19||17||25||50||200||14||1||4696||3000||, 1||Dragon, Undead, Flying, Morale -1, Aging|
[Show user commentary]
[Hide user commentary]
If you can upgrade your Estate early, you should do so. The Vampire Lords are one of the best 4th-level creatures in the game. Since they draw life from their enemy, and resurrect themselves, they can be used to single-handedly take out large numbers of low-level creatures. Combine with "counterstrike" to get even better effect.
"The month of the Hobgoblin" and the like are Necromancers' wet dream. Just take your strongest hero and stockpile Skeletons. Necromancy adds a little bit of motivation on clearing maps - who needs experience and levelups, when there's Skeletons aplenty?
The Necropolis has only a few units they can rely on, the others can wait with being bought and, in time, even be ignored. The reliable units are: Skeleton Warriors, Vampire Lords, Power Liches and Dread Knights.
You get Skeleton Warriors only if your ranks are full at the *end* of combat and if you have a stack of Skeleton Warriors and no stack of Skeletons. The downpart is that you get less than if you'd get normal Skeletons (2/3rds as many). Therefore, if it is logistically managable, it would be better to try and get a horde of normal Skeletons first, and then upgrade them at a Necropolis or Hill Fort for the last battle.
If there are any Level 1 dwellings nearby, recruit them and take them to the Necropolis. If you have a Skeleton Transformer, you're practically getting free skeletons, and even free Skeleton warriors if there is a Hill Fort close by too.