"The Druid and Ranger hero classes are native to Ramparts, which are built by creatures in allied defense of the unspoiled wilderness regions of Erathia. With two slow unit types, Dwarves and Dendroids, Rampart armies may be best suited to defensive tactics. Most of these creatures, however, have enemy hampering abilities that can be used to turn the tide against many opponents — especially those dependent on magical attacks." RoE manual
Rampart creature dwellings
- Centaur Stables
- Dwarf Cottage
- Enchanted Spring
- Dendroid Arches
- Unicorn Glade
- Dragon Cliffs
Rampart specific buildings
- Dendroid Saplings - (Dendroid horde building, +2/week)
- Treasury - (unique building, increases the amount of gold you have at the beginning of each week by 10%)
- Fountain of Fortune - (unique building, +2 luck to garrisoned heroes)
- Miners' Guild - (Dwarf horde building, +4/week)
- Mystic Pond - (unique building, produces 1–4 of a random resource except gold on the first day of every week)
- Spirit Guardian - (Grail building for the Rampart, +2 luck of all own heroes on the map, 5000 gold each day, 50% additional creature growth)
Rampart building tree
|Troop cost/week:||26620 + 4|
|Halls||Fortifications||Tavern, Marketplace & Resource Silo||Mage Guilds||Banned spells|
|Village Hall||Fort||Tavern||Mage Guild
|Town Hall||Citadel||Marketplace||Mage Guild
|City Hall||Castle||Resource Silo
Banned secondary skills
Some skills are not available for certain hero classes, which means they can only acquire them from Scholars, Witch Huts (except for Necromancy and Leadership, if not allowed by a map-maker), Seer's Huts, Events or Pandora's Boxes.
|Battle Dwarf||2+||7||7||2||4||20||5||8||209||150||Resistance +40%|
|Wood Elf||3||9||5||3||5||15||6||7||234||200||Ranged (24 shots)|
|Grand Elf||3+||9||5||3||5||15||7||7||331||225||Ranged (24 shots), Double attack|
|Pegasus||4||9||8||5||9||30||8||5||518||250||Flying, Magic damper|
|Silver Pegasus||4+||9||10||5||9||30||12||5||532||275||Flying, Magic damper|
|Unicorn||6||15||14||18||22||90||7||2||1806||850||Blind, Aura of Resistance +20%|
|War Unicorn||6+||15||14||18||22||110||9||2||2030||950||Blind, Aura of Resistance +20%|
|Green Dragon||7||18||18||40||50||180||10||1||4872||2400||, 1||Dragon, Flying, Breath attack, 1-3 lvl spells immunity|
|Gold Dragon||7+||27||27||40||50||250||16||1||8613||4000||, 2||Dragon, Flying, Breath attack, 1-4 lvl spells immunity|
- With two slow creature types, dwarves and dendroids, rampart armies may be best suited to defensive tactics. Most of these creatures, however, have enemy hampering abilities that can be used to turn the tide against many opponents—especially those dependent on magical attacks.
- Silver Pegasi are among the fastest creatures in the game, which often offers chance to act first in combat. However, they are quite fragile and should be used with caution.
- Gold Dragons' spell immunity is a double edged sword, their skills cannot be enhanced but nor can they be diminished. Useful in tactical manoeuvre called Dragogeddon.
- Dwarves and Dendroids are tough and useful in shielding Elves (or other shooters).
- The Grand Elf is a nice shooter, but often blinded (or damaged through spells) by the AI. Thus, protecting this ranged attacker with Double attack by anti magic spells like Anti-Magic (4th or 5th level spells only, up to spell immunity) or Magic Mirror (20% to 40% chance of reflecting spells back to the enemy and then target a random stack) can be useful.
- It is beneficial to build and upgrade Homestead prior to all the other dwellings.
- At sieges when the wall is breached, it is possible to use Dendroids to bind enemies in the moats.
- Strategy Guide for Rampart von Jolly Joker on Celestial Heavens
- Centaurs and Centaur Captains are among the best 1st level creatures.
- Several Treasuries can become extremely powerful in longer games as every treasury's 10% bonus is cumulative.
- Grand Elves are fast ranged units that can be acquired early in the game and, what is even more important, shoot twice.
- Several units with high speed rating can form a very potent force in the late game.
- Rampart produces the most hit points per week of all towns.
- Many anti-magic abilities of creatures. This includes Dwarves' resistance, ability of Pegasi to increase cost of a spell casted by the enemy hero, Unicorns' aura of resistance, and finally Green and Gold Dragons' immunity to the majority of spells (Gold Dragons can be part of Dragogeddon).
- Only 1 shooter (The Wood Elf/Grand Elf).
- Dendroid Guards/Dendroid Soldiers and Dwarves/Battle Dwarves slow armies down.
- Gold Dragons can not be resurrected, but unlike Black Dragons can be killed by Implosion.
- Pegasi are very fragile and not very strong, having the lowest HP among 4th-level melee units and no combat abilities like Crusaders' double attack or Basilisks' petrification. Moreover, their dwelling requires high amount of Crystals, and without it you will never get Unicorns and Dragons.
- Cannot have Armageddon in the Mage Guild, decreasing the possibility of Dragogeddon. Moreover, Rangers cannot learn Fire Magic, which disallows them to use Armageddon spell in the most effective way.