Morale represents troop stack's willingness to fight. High morale can allow creatures to receive an extra attack during combat round, while low morale can cause them to freeze and lose the turn. Good morale is received after the troop stack has acted, which means that the creatures will have a chance to act again immediately. Bad morale happens at the very beginning of creature stack's turn, and causes them to "freeze in panic".
The morale value of a creature stack can vary from -3 to +3. The game manual incorrectly states, that the probability for receiving (good or bad) morale is 1/24 (4.17 %) times morale value. This however, is not correct. The correct probabilities can be seen from the table on the right. As it shows, it is more probable to receive bad morale than good morale. The troop stack's morale value is mainly determined by army's morale rating, which acts as a bonus to the individual morale of its troops. Thus the creature stack's morale can differ from hero's army's morale. Army's morale can be affected in various ways, which are listed below.
Golems, undead and elementals are unaffected by morale, meaning that their morale rating is always zero.
Morale affecting features
Adventure Map locations:
- Buoy increases morale +1 until next battle
- Crypt decreases morale -1 until next battle, if the Crypt has already been visited
- Cursed Ground negates all positive morale.
- Evil Fog increases morale of evil aligned creatures by +1 and decreases morale of good aligned creatures by -1
- Fountain of Youth increases morale +1 until next battle (and gives +400 movement points)
- Holy Ground increases morale of good aligned creatures by +1 and decreases morale of evil aligned creatures by -1
- Idol of Fortune increases morale +1 until next battle on even days (+1 to luck on odd days, and on day seven gives both luck and morale +1)
- Temple increases morale +1 until next battle, or +2 if visited on day seven
- Oasis increases morale +1 until next battle (and +800 movement points)
- Rally Flag increases morale +1 (and luck +1) until next battle
- Shipwreck decreases morale -3 until next battle, if the wreck has already been visited
- Warrior's Tomb decreases morale -3 until next battle
- Watering Hole increases morale +1 until next battle (and gives +400 movement points)
- Events may increase or decrease morale from -3 to +3.
- Badge of Courage increases morale +1
- Crest of Valor increases morale +1
- Glyph of Gallantry increases morale +1
- Pendant of Courage increases morale +3 (gives also +3 to luck)
- Still Eye of the Dragon increases morale +1 (gives also +1 to luck)
- Spirit of Oppression negates all positive morale
- Tavern increases defenders morale by +1 when defending against siege.
- Castle's Brotherhood of the Sword increases defenders morale by +2 (in addition to Tavern) when defending against siege.
- Castle's grail building Colossus increases owners all heroes' morale by +2.
- Angel increases morale of the army they are fighting for by +1
- Archangel increases morale of the army they are fighting for by +1
- Bone Dragon decreases morale of the enemy army they are fighting against by -1.
- Ghost Dragon decreases morale of the enemy army they are fighting against by -1.
- Minotaur always has morale value at least +1. *
- Minotaur King always has morale value at least +1. *
- If all creatures fighting in hero's army are from the same town type, their morale is increased by +1.
- If creatures fighting in hero's army are from three different town types, their morale is decreased increased by -1.
- If creatures fighting in hero's army are from four different town types, their morale is decreased increased by -2.
- Leadership secondary skill increases morale by +1, +2 or +3.
- Mixing creatures from three different
- Morale of living creatures fighting on hero's army with undead among is decreased by -1.