Stronghold is a neutral alignment town with the barbarian and battle mage hero classes. Strongholds are built by alliances of tribes. Armies composed of stronghold-based units have a balanced mix of ranged and hand-to-hand attackers. With the inclusion of the stronger units, these armies are particularly well-equipped to deal with attacks on other towns. Stronghold represents Krewlod.
Stronghold Creature Dwellings
Stonghold Specific Buildings
- Ballista Yard - Allows visiting heroes to purchase ballistas in addition to the ammo carts provided by the blacksmith.
- Freelancer's Guild - (Unique Stronghold building, allows you to sell troops for resources)
- Mess Hall - (Goblin horde building, +8/week)
- Escape Tunnel - (unique Stronghold building, allows defending heroes to retreat during a siege)
- Hall of Valhalla - (+1 Attack to visiting hero)
- Warlords' Monument - (Grail building, +20 Attack to defending hero)
|Halls||Castles||Tavern, Marketplace & Resource Silo||Mage Guilds|
|Village Hall||Fort||Tavern||Mage Guild level 1|
|Town Hall||Citadel||Marketplace||Mage Guild level 2|
|City Hall||Castle|| Resource Silo
Produces +1 & +1
|Mage Guild level 3|
|Troop cost/week:||24530 + 2|
|Wolf Raider||Stronghold||2||8||5||3||4||10||8||140||Double attack|
|Ogre Mage||Stronghold||4||13||7||6||12||60||5||400||Cast Bloodlust x3|
|Cyclops||Stronghold||6||15||12||16||20||70||6||750||Can attack siege walls|
|Cyclops King||Stronghold||6||17||13||16||20||70||8||1100||Can attack siege walls|
|Behemoth||Stronghold||7||17||17||30||50||160||6||1500||Defense -40% to enemy target|
|Ancient Behemoth||Stronghold||7||19||19||30||50||300||9||3000||, 1||Defense -80% to enemy target|
- Hero classes. Battle Mage is one of the most balanced classes in the game with a host of useful specials. Barbarians are the best fighter class available, expect attack ratings to rise fast and keep on rising. With great specials like Offense, a high-level Barbarian is a tough opponent.
- Escape Tunnel: it´s great to be able to retreat from a siege so you don´t lose your best hero this way.
- Cyclopes and Cyclops Kings can attack castle walls with their ranged attack. This is a vastly underestimated special that can tip the scale in an attacking force´s favor very quickly, especially when combined with a fast initiative-giving unit and Haste (Expert level for best effect). High Morale (to enable multiple shots) is also extra useful for them (the spell for this is Mirth) and if you have the room in your army, every additional stack gives additional shots at the wall! A stack of 1 Cyclops King 'sieges' as well as a stack of 1,000 (and twice as well as a stack of Cyclops).
- Ancient behemoths win a 1vs1 against most 7'th level creatures.
- Crag Hack is one of the best Heroes in the game, at later stages, he will deal incredible amounts of damage thanks to his Offense specialty.
- Least expensive town as far as weekly troop cost is concerned for gold, though the Rampart town will often have a better economy in general by making use of the Dwarven Treasury.
- Slow units, the fastest is the Thunderbird with a Speed of 11. Ancient Behemoth has 9.
- Magic, Mage Guild is limited to level 3.
- Only one flying unit, namely the Thunderbird.
- Cyclops and Behemoth lairs both require a lot of crystal to build. This competition makes it hard to have them both out in the earlier times - you have to choose between one of them, while both are very useful.