The fortress town is a neutral alignment town type with beastmaster and witch hero classes. Fortress towns are built at the edge of swamps. Their armies are primarily made up of deadly creatures – born of the swamps, and then subdued and trained for warfare. While among them there is only one ranged attack creature, Fortress units are possessed of many special abilities to offset this deficiency. Fortress represent Tatalia.
|Halls||Castles||Tavern, Marketplace & Resource Silo||Mage Guilds|
|Village Hall||Fort||Tavern||Mage Guild level 1|
|Town Hall||Citadel||Marketplace||Mage Guild level 2|
|City Hall||Castle|| Resource Silo
Produces +1 & +1
|Mage Guild level 3|
- Village Hall → Town Hall → City Hall → Capitol
- Fort → Citadel → Castle
- Blacksmith which produces First Aid Tents
- Mage Guild up to level 3
- Marketplace → Resource Silo which produces +1 Wood and 1 Ore
- Blood Obelisk (+2 Attack to heroes defending against a siege)
- Cage of Warlords (+1 Defense to visiting hero)
- Captain's Quarters (Gnoll horde building, +6/week)
- Glyphs of Fear (+2 Defense to heroes defending against a siege)
- Shipyard (like in Castle, Necropolis and Conflux towns)
- Carnivorous Plant (Grail building, +10 Attack and Defense to heroes defending against a siege, as well as 5000 gold/day and +50% creature growth)
Fortress creature dwellings:
- Gnoll Hut
- Lizard Den
- Serpent Fly Hive
- Basilisk Pit
- Gorgon Lair
- Wyvern Nest
- Hydra Pond
|Troop cost/week:||26660 + 2|
|Dragon Fly||Fortress||3||8||10||2||5||20||13||240||Dispel, Weakness|
|Mighty Gorgon||Fortress||5||11||16||12||16||70||6||600||Death stare 10% chance/unit|
|Hydra||Fortress||7||16||18||25||45||175||5||2200||No enemy retaliation, Attack all adjacent enemies|
|Chaos Hydra||Fortress||7||18||20||25||45||250||7||3500||, 1||No enemy retaliation, Attack all adjacent enemies|
- High defense (Defense themed town)
- With a two-hex moat and several buildings which increase the stats of the defending hero, a Fortress castle is a real pain to attack.
- Resilient hand-to-hand troops with excellent specials (Death Stare, Petrify, Poison)
- Their swamp native terrain makes them move much faster than any hero (without pathfinding) in the swamp.
- The Wyvern Nest is very cheap and has very low requirements compared to the other level 6 dwellings, allowing the Fortress town to get level 6 units in their army early even on impossible difficulty.
- The heavy focus on Defense can be disadvantageous in many cases, as a hero with high attack can kill their enemies before they have a chance to attack back. Attack can therefore be used as a type of defense, while defense cannot be used as offense.
- The heavy focus on Defense combined with the fact that fortress only have got one shooter makes it more difficult for fortress to win battles without casualities than the other factions.
- Highest level Mage Guild is 3.
- Some creatures have poor stats (in Shadow of Death some stats for Lizardman/Lizard Warrior and Serpent Fly/Dragon Fly were increased, but overall they are still relatively weak. In wake of gods, this can be fixed by use of some settings making Fortress creatures better)
- With two relatively weak fliers (lvl 3 with 20 hp, lvl 6 with 70 (!) hp) and one very weak shooter, the Fortress has a very hard time invading other towns properly. So Expert Ballistics, Expert Teleport and/or Expert Earthquake are a must.