Imbalance is a feature of game when something (hero, creature, faction, spell, etc.) delivers strong advantage (overpowered) against analogues of its tier, or strong disadvantage. In tournaments players of same skill are expected to have equal chances of victory regardless of random effects, so this presents a problem.
- Conflux is considered imbalanced because of its 1,2,6 lvl units and quick growth of 7th lvl units, immunity to and Grail Building which gives all spells
- Necropolis is considered imbalanced because of ability to create huge armies of skeletons, and Vampire Lords.
- Dimension Door
- Town Portal
- Animate Dead
Methods against imbalance
- Banning offending entities from game altogether
- Gentleman's accords so even if its in game, it will be not used (e.g. it might be forbidden to upgrade Vampires to Vampire Lords)
- Designing map in a way so even if entity is ingame its effect would be encountered (e.g. artifracts against necromants, or multiple mid-tier creature dwellings which are not useful for necromants)