Tactics is a secondary skill, that allows hero to arrange his troops on the battlefield at the beginning of combat. However, if a hero is attacking another hero and both have Tactics at the same level, they cancel each other out, and neither of the heroes may arrange his army. If one of the heroes have higher level of Tactics, his skill is treated being on the same level as the remainder. For example, if hero with expert Tactics encounters a hero with basic Tactics the remainder becomes 2, which means that the hero's expert level Tactics is treated as advanced level Tactics.
- The battlefield is 15 hexes wide (and 11 high).
- Usually, you need a creature with at least 13 speed to be able to reach a 1-wide creature on the exact other side in one turn. Apart from neutral or upgraded Dragons, only the following creatures can do this: Phoenix, Archangel, Arch Devil, Firebird, Efreet Sultan, Dragon Fly. Silver Pegasi and Haspids are 2-wide and have Speed 12 so they can attack a creature on the exact other side immediately as well. Angels with Speed 12 are able to attack if the creature on the exact other side is 2-wide. Ayssids, Scorpicores, Red Dragons, Thunderbirds and Wyvern Monarchs are 2-wide and have 11 Speed. They can thus reach the exact other side if the creature is also 2-wide.
- With Basic/Advanced/Expert Tactics, the distance is reduced to 11/9/7 hexes which means 11/9/7 speed is needed to immediately reach the other side (1 less if the creature you attack is 2-wide).
With upgraded creatures and Expert Tactics, all your creatures can strike immediately except:
- Stronghold: Ogre Magi.
- Necropolis: Zombies and Skeletons/Skeleton Warriors.
- Inferno: Demons/Horned Demons.
- Dungeon: Infernal Troglodytes.
- Conflux: Magma Elementals.
- Tower: Iron Golems.
- Castle: Halberdiers and Crusaders.
- Cove: Seamen.
- Fortress: Gnoll Marauders and Mighty Gorgons.
- Rampart: Dendroid Soldiers and Battle Dwarves.
Note that Haste gives on Basic/Advanced/Expert level +3/5/5 Speed. Tactics lets your army start 3/5/7 hexes farther ahead. Expert Haste allows less creatures to strike immediately than Expert Tactics. With Haste and Expert Tactics, any creature can immediately reach the other side to strike.
Heroes with Tactics as a starting skill:
- Boragus the Barbarian (basic)
- Charna the Death Knight (basic)
- Dace the Overlord (basic)
- Erdamon the Planeswalker (basic)
- Gunnar the Overlord (basic)
- Ignatius the Demoniac (basic)
- Kalt the Planeswalker (basic)
- Lacus the Planeswalker (advanced)
- Mutare the Overlord / Mutare Drake the Overlord (basic)
- Shakti the Overlord (basic)
- Terek the Battle Mage (basic)
- Thunar the Planeswalker (basic)
- Torosar the Alchemist (basic)
- Tyraxor the Barbarian (basic)
- Tyris the Knight (basic)
- Xeron the Demoniac (basic)
- Cassiopeia the Captain (basic)
- Dargem the Navigator (basic)
- Illor the Captain (basic)
|Town||Class||Chance to learn|