Factory is the unreleased 11th faction for Horn of the Abyss, which is confirmed to be released in game version 1.7.0. This new faction will have the Wasteland as its native terrain, which was released in HotA version 1.6.0. The town's theme combines nature with an attempt to harness its power, which is reflected in the two "trees" of creatures and their upgrades.
As of August 2020, the revealed line up consists of:
- Tier 1: Halfling –> Halfling Grenadier (They may not have the Fireball Attack, but Halfling Grenadiers are said to have an ability called "Bombing Attack" that will affect their ability to retaliate.)
- Tier 2: Mechanic –> Engineer (They can repair mechanical units in both forms.)
- Tier 3: Armadillo –> Bellwether Armadillo (They are said to have an alternative walking animation, when getting casted by Hasted, they will curls into a ball and roll instead of walking, this is purely just a graphical future.)
- Tier 4: Automaton –> ??? (No released graphics or information available, other than the fact that they are possibly fully robotic.)
- Tier 5: Sandworm –> Olgoi-Khorkhoi (Fliers, similar to Nymph & Oceanid; if they come out of the ground above a corpse, the upgrade automatically consumes it, after which its next attack will receive one more strike; the bonus strikes can stack. They are also said that when combating on ships, they won't be able to use their Burrowing ability and will walk normal instead so they will not be able to ignore obstackles.)
- Tier 6: Gunslinger –> Bounty Hunter (Retaliates to one ranged attack per round with a Quick Shot.)
- Tier 7: Dreadnought –> Juggernaut (Both units have a special penetrating beam attack called Heat Stroke. The attack is similar in area to that of the Cerberus, but it also affects units including those behind the target, similar to a dragon's breath attack.)
- Tier 7: Couatl –> Crimson Couatl (Couatls can Meditate to become impervious to damage and skip their turn.)
NOTE: Both the Dreadnought and Couatl are controversially set to be 7th tier units. Both dwellings may be built in the same town and both units may be recruited. They will NOT be alternative units, like in Heroes of Might and Magic 4.
Factory will feature heroes from former games, such as Kastore and Agar (an Artificer with a Sandworm specialty), but also new ones, like Todd and Bertram. Jangaard is a Mercenary hero with a Scouting specialty, and Henrietta is a Mercenary hero with a Halfling specialty. Morgan and Sam are two additional heroes of unknown classes.
As of 12 March 2021:
- Wasteland terrain and associated objects are ready and in the game as of 1.6.0.
- All Factory creatures are ready.
- Hero models on the Adventure Map and in battle are ready.
- Hero lineup is not finalized, but there are more than 16 portraits in a releasable state, but still being worked on.
- Paul Romero is currently working on the musical theme of Factory.
- Almost all 3D models of the town screen are finished; there are only a few models that need texturing.
- Factory creature dwellings are not ready (and can only be started once Factory town screen is finalized).
- Factory siege screen is not ready (and can only be started once Factory town screen is finalized).
- The majority of 3D campaign cutscenes are finished or in the final stages of production, with only a few still needing to be made.
- Campaign maps are still in the beginning stages of being made; only 1 (out of 8) map is close to being ready.